Bookkeeping - Level 1 Award
To enable the learner to gain knowledge of how to perform key, single-entry book-keeping activities such as updating a day book.
30 guided learning hours, at 2 – 3 hours per week.
Who Is This Course For?
This course is suitable if you:
- Want a solid introduction to book-keeping or a refresher
- Are working in finance and want an industry-recognised qualification
- May like to run book-keeping services for local businesses
- Run their own business and want to do your own book-keeping
Will I Gain Any Qualifications?
Yes, City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Book-keeping and Accounts.
Do I Need Any Prior Knowledge, Skills Or Qualifications?
Yes, Level 2 qualifications in maths and English and be confident at using a computer at least at Level 1.
- Know how to complete financial documents such as invoices, statements, credit notes, cheques and cash requisition vouchers
- Record cash and credit transactions in books of original entry
- Prepare bank reconciliation
- Understand the petty cash imprest system
- Extract a trial balance from ledger accounts
What Could This Course Lead To?
The skills developed will give a solid base from which to support you progressing to other City & Guilds accounts qualifications such as Computerised Accounts Level 1 or entry-level bookkeeping roles such as in a finance department.
How Will I Learn?
- Learning will take place initially in a classroom environment and then online from your home using Birmingham Adult Education Services Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool to support you with your studies. It has been designed to complement teaching and offers a flexible addition to studying with us. Various other tools like Microsoft Teams, Zoom & Padlet will be used to enhance teaching & learning.
- You will be able to access resources, engage in online activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
- Once you are enrolled your teacher will provide you with an enrolment key and show you how to access the resource.
What Materials Or Equipment Will I Need To Provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- A laptop, computer which is connected to the internet
- Microsoft Office 365 (Excel) which we will provide for free when you enrol on one of our courses
- Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises
What We Require Of You As A Learner?
- Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
- You will be expected to attend the full course and sit all exams
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your teacher for marking
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
- For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk