Cake Decorating & Sugarcraft – Level 2 Certificate
To enable you to build on knowledge, skills and abilities gained at level 1 to produce and evaluate marketable finished items to a high standard.
During the course you will look at key skills for employment within the field.
Include elements of research and development into your working projects.
Consider how to develop and transfer your subject knowledge for community/ citizenship use.
Course lengths vary. Please check the BAES web site www.learnbaes.ac.uk BAES Learning Directory, visit or telephone one of our adult learning centres for details.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to gain a level 2 qualification which includes content on enterprise, employment and self-employment in the catering sector.
You will need to have studied sugar craft at level 1 to succeed on this qualification. The course involves written work, research, calculating costs, weights and measurements, so you will need to have good levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
- How to use materials, tools and equipment to develop range and complexity of techniques and creativity
- How to develop ideas based on research
- How to plan and produce finished sugar craft items which demonstrate good levels of skill and present them to good effect
- How to use appropriate technical language in planning, evaluation and record keeping
- To be able to identify different types of business and to apply your understanding of business enterprise
- To produce samples of techniques with instructions in your portfolio
- An awareness of employment opportunities in the catering industry
- How to use tools and equipment safely and correctly
How will I learn?
- Through tutor demonstration and instruction
- By exploring equipment, tools and techniques
- By producing good quality finished work to your own designs which incorporate complex techniques
- By critically evaluating your own work and that of others
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
Yes, NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Creative Craft using Cake decorating.
What could this course lead to?
It could lead to further courses in sugar craft techniques at intermediate or advanced level, or to a qualification at level 3.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
Fees for this course do not include the cost of materials and tools. During the course you will need to purchase materials costing approximately £30.
For the first week, you will need to bring a folder, pen and writing pad. An apron and some sort of head covering must be worn during class.