Digital & Computer Skills - Beginners
To be able to use a computer or a laptop confidently: The course will provide a simple hands-on introduction for those who are new to using technology to enhance their essential digital skills. You will gain confidence in using a computer, keyboard and mouse, so that you develop word-processing skills and are able to access the internet safely and legally.
20 guided learning hours at 2-3 hours per week.
Who Is This Course For?
This course is suitable for those who have no or very little experience of using a computer and wish to develop confidence and enhance their digital skills in using IT.
Will I Gain Any Qualification?
Yes. You will gain an Entry 2 Award in IT. All our ICT courses embed development of study skills, English, maths and job related skills to help prepare you for study at higher levels and improve your work prospects.
Do I Need Any Prior Knowledge, Skills Or Qualifications?
No previous IT experience is required. A basic level of English is needed as this will help you to read and understand the instructions given.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Switch on a computer safely and shut it down
- Be able to enter text and numbers using a keyboard and mouse
- Be able to use word-processing to type words and numbers
- Be able to format your text to improve your document
- Be able to insert a picture into your document
- Find information from the internet that is useful and of interest to you
- Use the internet safely and legally
What Could This Course Lead To?
At the end of the course, your tutor will check your skills to see what you are ready to do next. You could progress to an Entry 3 course such as Digital & Computer Skills – Improvers or Essential Digital Skills Entry 3.
How Will I Learn?
- Learning will take place initially in a classroom environment and then online from your home using Birmingham Adult Education Services Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool to support you with your studies. It has been designed to complement teaching and offers a flexible addition to studying with us. Various other tools like Microsoft Teams, Zoom & Padlet will be used to enhance teaching & learning.
- You will be able to access resources, engage in online activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
- Once you are enrolled your teacher will provide you with an enrolment key and show you how to access the resource.
What Materials Or Equipment Will I Need To Provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- A laptop, computer or a tablet which is connected to the internet
- Microsoft Office 365 which we will provide for free when you enrol on one of our courses
- Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises
What We Require Of You As A Learner?
- Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your tutor for marking
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
- You will be expected to complete all assessments and complete the full course
- For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk
Joanne Hourigan Teaching & Learning Manager… | T: 0121 464 6583 … |M: 07734 773 242