Games and Animations Programming - Level 1 Award
This exciting new course introduces you to the world of games and apps. The idea of this course is to learn how to develop games and applications using code. By the end of the course you should be able to code simple games and apps.
60 Guided Learning Hours. Courses are usually 1 x 2hrs per week.
Who Is This Course For?
Adults (19+) who would like to develop their computer skills for everyday life and work and achieve a level 1 ITQ qualification. You should have some IT skills and a keen interest in the more logical programming and games design side of IT. Those wishing to progress into jobs in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) industries and in the digital skills sector.
Will I Gain Any Qualification?
Yes, ITQ level 1 Qualification. There is an assessment for each unit. You can do these in the classroom when you are ready. You will have lots of chance to practise the skills you need in class before you do the assessments. All our Digital Skills courses embed development of study, English, maths and job skills to help prepare you for study at higher levels and improve work prospects.
Do I Need Any Prior Knowledge, Skills Or Qualifications?
Your English, maths and IT skills will be assessed before you join the course to make sure that the course is the right level for you.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Understand the principles of graphic animation
- Understand decision making in a games program
- Modify existing games code to make changes to a game
- Identify an image as a group of pixels on a screen
- Plan a game scenario using a provided set of story boards
- Relate to the position of an image on a screen to approximate screen coordinates
What Could This Course Lead To?
At the end of the course, your tutor will check your skills to see what you are ready to do next: Games and Animations Programming - Level 2 (Certificate) or Access to Higher education or a job as a trainee in digital industries.
How Will I Learn?
- Learning will take place initially in a classroom environment and then online from your home using Birmingham Adult Education Services Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool to support you with your studies. It has been designed to complement teaching and offers a flexible addition to studying with us. Various other tools like Microsoft Teams, Zoom & Padlet will be used to enhance teaching & learning.
- You will be able to access resources, engage in online activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
- Once you are enrolled your teacher will provide you with an enrolment key and show you how to access the resource.
What Materials Or Equipment Will I Need To Provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- A laptop, computer which is connected to the internet
- Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises
What We Require Of You As A Learner?
- Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
- You will be expected to attend the full course
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your teacher for marking
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
- For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk
- Awarding Body, TLM Ingots https://theingots.org