Digital Photography – Intermediate and Advanced
This course will enable you to build on existing skills in creative photography. You will be able to use Photoshop to carry out complex editing and creative applications to produce images to a high standard.
30 hours – usually 15 weekly sessions of 2 hours.
Who is this course for?
The course is suitable for people who:
- wants to further develop their creative abilities using digital techniques to produce work of a professional standard
- wants to study at higher levels or look for employment in this field.
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
No - this is a non-accredited course.
Do I need any knowledge, skills or qualifications?
You will need to have studied at beginners or intermediate level to join this course. As the course involves research, taking notes and working out proportions, you will need to have good levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
You will learn about:
- how to use a DSLR camera, functions and associated equipment with confidence
- how to set up a lighting studio and work on location
- how to use detailed technical language to present and evaluate photographic images
- how to use high level IT skills to create a range of effects and professional finishes
- how to operate according to health and safety procedures
- how to operate ethically
- employment opportunities in the creative media industry.
What could this course lead to?
It will prepare you for advanced levels study or a Level 3 or 4 qualification in photography. It may also help you to get a job in the media industry.
How will I learn?
- observe tutor demonstrations of photographic techniques which you will practice and experiment with throughout the course
- carry out research into established photographers and demonstrate their influence in your own work
- collect source materials from a variety of locations
- contribute confidently from a position of knowledge to group reviews of finished work
- produce a high quality portfolio showing your techniques, photographic images and achievements.
What materials or equipment will I need to provide?
Important: A Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera is a requirement for this course. You are also advised to purchase a memory stick and USB cable (your tutor will advise at the start of the course).
Additional costs will include the printing of good quality photographs, a professional standard portfolio, and other display materials.
Your commitment as a learner
To achieve success on the course you will need to attend regularly, and on time. If you need to miss a class, please let us know in advance.
You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study, complete any homework set and bring the correct materials to each session. You will be expected to complete all assessments and complete the full course.