Floristry – Seasonal Designs – Beginners
This course will cover all of the basic skills and techniques you will need to produce simple floral designs representing events which occur in Autumn and Winter - such as Diwali, Halloween, Hanukkah or Christmas - using seasonal blooms and foliage.
16 hours – usually 8 weekly sessions of 2 hours.
Who is this course for?
Anyone with an interest in developing basic floristry skills using seasonally appropriate plant material.
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
No - this is a non-accredited course.
Do I need any knowledge, skills or qualifications?
As the course involves taking notes, measurements and making calculations you will need to have basic levels of English and Maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
You will learn about:
- how to use materials, tools and equipment to produce different design arrangements
- how to identify commonly used flowers and foliage according to the season
- how to make button holes, bouquets, corsages and table arrangements
- how to use primary and secondary colours
- how to use and store plant material, tools and equipment safely
- awareness of employment opportunities in the floristry industry.
What could this course lead to?
Other short courses at Beginners level, or you could consider doing an NCFE Level 1 Award in Creative Craft using Floristry.
How will I learn?
You will be taught through:
- tutor demonstration and presentation
- experimenting with tools and techniques
- making floral designs and arrangements
- producing a small portfolio containing images of arrangements that you have made, and techniques learned.
What materials or equipment will I need to provide?
For the first session you will need to bring a pen, writing pad and folder.
You will need a pair of floristry scissors (cost approx. £7.00 from Amazon) and a floristry knife (cost approx. £7.50 from Amazon) within two weeks of the course starting.
Important - in addition to the course fees, flowers and foliage will cost between £3.00 and £10.00 per session.
Your commitment as a learner
To achieve success on the course you will need to attend regularly, and on time. If you need to miss a class, please let us know in advance.
You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study, complete any homework set and bring the correct materials to each session. You will be expected to complete all assessments and complete the full course.