Sewing Workshop - Beginners and Intermediate
Learning Aspects – Key Skills/Techniques/Outcomes
- Hand and machine sewing techniques
- Use tools, equipment and fireproof materials safely and correctly
- Take and record accurate measurements
- Research ideas for organic, sustainable materials and project/s
- Working with patterns and/or templates
- Upcycle, repair and alter a project
Program teaching is delivered through a combination of tutor demonstrations, practical activities and research discussions for ideas and suitable materials.
You will be expected to work independently and engage in group tasks in order to develop your skills and knowledge. The course covers a range of techniques, skills and awareness of sustainability.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Select. Prepare and apply materials and accessories for your project
- Produce samples of techniques with instructions in your portfolio for future reference
- Produce/upcycle a wearable/usable project to a good standard
- Have an awareness of Employment and other opportunities in the subject
This course is suitable for beginners and individuals who have some prior knowledge of the subject.
But, as the course involves taking notes and measurements, you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
Course lengths vary. Please check the BAES web site www.learnbaes.ac.uk BAES Learning Directory, visit or telephone one of our adult learning centres for details of dates and start times.
It could lead to further courses in sewing at higher levels including qualifications.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
Costs – Additional to course fees
Tools and equipment are available for your use at the centres. However, you will need to purchase some tools and materials for your project. The additional course costs will vary from £10 depending on the type of project you are making or upcycling, this will be discussed with you at enrolment
As a service we encourage sustainability and use leftover materials for samples of techniques where possible.