Textiles: Asian Fashion, Cutting and Stitching - Intermediate
Explore the design and production of Shalwar, Kameez, or Asian suit.
Aimed at intermediate level, this course focuses on further advancing elements of cutting and stitching from beginners level. You will build on experience and extend knowledge of equipment by introducing more advanced equipment used to produce Asian fashion to industry standard.
On this course you will develop and prepare sample pieces for construction. You will be guided to construct and create samples of key features to produce a wearable garment.
What to expect from the course
- Each learner will negotiate a project plan with the Tutor, based on experience and learning goals. Your project could be to construct a garment for yourself or a family member.
- You will be expected to work independently and engage in group tasks in order to develop your skills and knowledge. The course covers a range of techniques and skills, sustainability and awareness of employment and other opportunities in the subject. You will also be expected to undertake work at home as well as during the workshop class time
- Gain an understanding of and strategy of how to source sustainable fabrics and notions. Develop working methods that foster sustainability, create eco-friendly garments/projects. Understand how to care for garments to minimise their impact on the environment.
- Research + enrichment: The history and cultural origins of your chosen garment or project: style features/ basic shape of your chosen project, new terminology.
Why study with BAES Arts?
You will develop an understanding of how to position your career goals within the creative sector across the creative industries.
- Develop practical skills, experiment with methods, techniques and processes.
- Learn how to kick-start your career in this industry, exploring design concepts and build wider knowledge within the Arts.
Interest in the Creative Arts and Design/ Fashion / Textiles. No formal entry requirements.
At intermediate level you will need a referral from the tutor who will assess if the course is suitable for you at this level. This can be arranged prior to enrolment.
Suitability Level: Intermediate / Advanced
- This course is suitable for anybody who is at Intermediate level who want to develop or further there sewing skills using hand and domestic machine sewing techniques.
- As the course involves taking notes and measurements, you will need to have basic levels of English and Maths.
- A good basic level of sewing skills is required, in addition to a good level of written and spoken English. You will be required to take notes, complete written tasks and make mathematical calculations.
- A basic level of IT skills is also useful, to undertake research tasks, write assignments and access the online elements of the course.
Further education courses in Textiles
Initial course resources / Additional cost
Tools and equipment are available for your use at the Centre’s. However, you will need to purchase some tools and materials for your project. The additional course costs will vary £ 20 - 45 depending on the size of the project you are making, this will be discussed with you at enrolment.