IT Skills for Employment - Level 1 Award
This course provides learners with increased levels of basic IT skills. It will support you in developing your know-how in using Microsoft Office, including the commonly used Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
60 guided learning hours usually 20 weekly sessions at 2 ½ hours.
Who Is This Course For?
This qualification has been created to meet employer needs within the ICT sector. It is suitable for learners who want to develop their use of ICT to become competent users of Microsoft Office. It is for anyone who has a basic level of IT skills and wants to gain more insight into the uses of computers in the world of work. This course is not suitable for complete beginners.
Will I Gain Any Qualification?
Yes. You will gain a Level 1 ITQ Award.
Do I Need Any Prior Knowledge, Skills Or Qualifications?
No previous IT qualification is needed, but you will need to be able to use a computer unaided and have at least English at Entry Level 3.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Use Microsoft Word to a suitable level, e.g. to be able to produce a draft CV
- Use internet and email with confidence e.g. to send and receive emails with attachments
- In addition, if doing the Award qualification you can decide with your tutor to complete one of the following units:
- Use Microsoft Excel to be able to create a spreadsheet using simple formulae or
- Use Microsoft PowerPoint to be able to create a slide show presentation using different themes, timings and animation
What Could This Course Lead To?
You could choose to progress onto the Level 2 ITQ Certificate in IT User Skills or you may choose to do one of our Business Administration or Accounting qualifications. It could help you to gain employment in an IT office environment or you could use your skills to help set up your own business.
With the world ever changing in its use of technology, equipping yourself with ICT skills will support in all chosen careers, as employers often seek candidates who are competent in their computing skills. Successfully achieving certification in ITQ can open the door to a whole range of employment and career progression opportunities.
How Will I Learn?
- Learning will take place initially in a classroom environment and then online from your home using Birmingham Adult Education Services Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool to support you with your studies. It has been designed to complement teaching and offers a flexible addition to studying with us. Various other tools like Microsoft Teams, Zoom & Padlet will be used to enhance teaching & learning.
- You will be able to access resources, engage in online activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
- Once you are enrolled your teacher will provide you with an enrolment key and show you how to access the resource.
What Materials Or Equipment Will I Need To Provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- A laptop, computer which is connected to the internet
- Microsoft Office 365 which we will provide for free when you enrol on one of our courses
- Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises
What We Require Of You As A Learner?
- Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
- You will be expected to attend the full course and sit an exam
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your teacher for marking
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
- For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk