Discover Mandarin - Workshop
- Identify the key aspects of Mandarin Chinese – tones, phonetics and characters.
- Learn just how many Chinese words you already know.
- Say hi, introduce yourself and use some polite phrases.
One session – 3 hours
Who is this workshop lesson for?
- Anyone who wishes to learn Mandarin or who might like to but isn’t sure yet.
- This can be a first step for those who wish to carry on learning in the future or can help those who just wish to learn a little in preparation for a travel adventure or business trip to China & so on.
What equipment do I need to attend the online lesson?
- Access to a computer (usually best), or ipad (also good) or mobile phone (possible but not recommended). Microphone and camera installed or pre-installed (functioning).
- An internet connection & access to your email before the lesson (in order to open the Zoom link).
We will start by looking at how many Chinese words you already know - you may well know more than you think. Then we'll look at the key aspects of Mandarin Chinese - tones, phonetics and characters. We'll then build sentences using high-frequency (commonly used) words rapidly enabling you to say hi, introduce yourself, ask for names and use some polite phrases.
The focus is on speaking and listening with a brief introduction to Chinese characters and how we can best learn them.
Hopefully you’ll also discover how rewarding and fun it can be to learn a language.
How will I learn?
The class will be delivered online via Zoom – a Zoom link will be sent to your email before the lesson. Feel free to test the Zoom link by clicking it anytime before the class. When you join the ‘‘meeting’’ you may need to allow (or connect with) the audio when prompted.
It's not essential for you to watch, but a quick guide to Zoom can be found here in case you're interested & haven't used it yet:
What could this class lead to?
If after this session you’re keen to keep learning then you can join Mandarin - Beginners 1!