Textiles: Bag Making - Introduction / Faux Fabrics
Start your sewing journey with bag making. This short course is aimed at beginners with little or no experience of bag making.
Introduction to basic sewing skills will be developed in stages. The aim is to reach a confident skill level in order to construct a simple bag. This course will enable you to develop basic levels of skill, or to build on existing skill levels using sewing techniques, equipment and producing a themed project and/or upcycling existing projects.
The themed project focus for the bag making modules are design, functionality and sustainability. Learn the sewing basics and progress on to explore use of different fabrics and materials, such as construction in faux fabrics.
What to expect from the course
- During this course you will develop your sewing skills and construct a simple bag.
- You will apply this knowledge to research, prepare, layout, cut and construct a simple bag or accessory using a commercial pattern or template.
- Develop an understanding of and strategy to source sustainable fabrics and notions. Cultivate working methods that foster sustainability, create eco-friendly garments and understand how to care for garments to minimise their impact in the environment.
- Each student will negotiate what they make with their tutor based on the learners experience and learning goals. If you are entry intermediate level, you may want to consider design elements and further construction techniques to stretch and challenge.
- Research + enrichment: The history of the sewing pattern/ design and historical background of the product type to be constructed. Research to be undertaken in class and online.
Why study with BAES Arts?
You will develop an understanding of how to position your career goals within the creative sector across the creative industries.
- Develop practical Art skills, experiment with methods, techniques and processes.
- Learn how to kick-start your career in this industry, exploring design concepts and build wider knowledge within the Arts.
- Our short courses can provide an introduction to key foundation skills needed to enable you to progress onto more in depth courses.
Enthusiasm and an interest in the Creative Art. There are no formal entry requirements
Suitability Level: Beginners / Beginners +
- This course is suitable for anybody who is at Beginners level who want to develop or further there sewing skills using hand and machine sewing techniques. It is suitable for learners who have no prior knowledge of the subject but, as the course involves taking notes and measurements, you will need to have basic levels of English and maths.
- You will be expected to work independently and engage in group tasks in order to develop your skills and knowledge. The course covers a range of techniques, skills, sustainability an awareness of employment other opportunities in the subject. You will be expected to undertake work at home as well as during the workshop class time.
Further education courses in Art and Design, Fashion, Craft
Initial course resources / Additional cost
Tools and equipment are available for your use at the Centre. However, you may need to purchase some tools and materials for your project, this will be discussed with your Tutor if required. The additional course costs will vary £20 - 45 depending on the size of the project you are making.
Specific Tools/ Equipment: Learners will need a basic sewing kit including - sewing needles, sewing thread, scissors, tape measure, tailors chalk, seam ripper, pins, sewing box to store sewing kit in. As term progresses: a sewing pattern, fabric & notions will also be required for your chosen project. Access to a sewing machine at home is desirable but not essential. Stationary requirements: An A4 lever arch folder, plastic sleeve poly-pockets, pens, pencils, eraser, A4 lined paper, paper glue Access to internet plus laptop /iPad/ smartphone.