Sewing Skills - Level 2 Certificate (NCFE)
This course will enable you to develop skills in using sewing machines, tools and equipment safely and correctly. You will produce samples and techniques leading to a final project of your choice such as clothing, soft furnishing and bags. Research basic designs and working with colour matching for fabrics and threads.
During the course you will look at key skills for employment within the field.
Include elements of research and development into your working projects.
Consider how to develop and transfer your subject knowledge for community/ citizenship use.
Will I gain a qualification?
Yes. NCFE Level 2 Award in Creative Craft
There are 80 guided learning hours for this course. Please see BAES Learning Directory or website for start and end dates and session length: www.learnbaes.ac.uk
Who this course for?
This course is for individuals who want to be able to gain a Level 2 qualification in this subject, and, or, who might be thinking about looking for work or self-employment in this field.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
Ideally, you will need to have done at least a Beginners Level course in this subject. You will have an initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
You will produce a variety of stitched samples covering a range of techniques
You will learn how to use research techniques and findings to help you to formulate your own Textiles designs for final projects
You will also look at the types of jobs available in the in the Textiles sector
- for you.
Use materials, tools and equipment to produce different design arrangements
- Know how to use colours and textures and how to combine them for effect
- Have collected and developed ideas from a variety of sources
- Be able to discuss and record ideas and adapt according to feedback & circumstances
- Have produced a wide range of designs based on planning and research to set assignments
- Have produced finished work demonstrating a good level of skill
- Be able to present finished designs to good effect and carry out verbal and written evaluation of finished material
- Be able to identify different types of business
- Be able to apply your understanding of business enterprise
- Know how to use and store plant material and tools safely and in line with health & safety regulations
- Have produced a portfolio of evidence, showing skills, development, research
and finished work.
What could this course lead to?
This course will help you to develop intermediate levels of design and practical skills in sewing. It will prepare you for advanced Level study or a Level 3 qualification.
How will I learn?
Your tutor will demonstrate techniques which you will practice and experiment with
You will produce sample pieces in a variety of techniques
You will carry out research for, then design and make finished projects
You will take part in individual and group reviews of finished work
You will produce a portfolio showing your designs and achievements
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
So that you have the best chance of successfully passing this qualification, you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, complete homework as required, and bring the correct tools and resources to each session.
The course fees for this qualification do not cover the cost of equipment and materials. You will need to spend approximately £10 on equipment at the beginning of the course, and then £15 on materials as the course progresses.