Textiles: Weaving for Wellbeing
This short course is aimed at beginners with little or no experience of craft skills. It is a great introduction to the craft of weaving, a process used to create a textile that can be used across the design disciplines such as fashion, interiors and arts.
This course is designed to promote wellbeing, tackle isolation whilst bringing the therapeutic benefits of craft and building a sense of community online with a shared subject interest. We have specialist tutors to deliver the content and learners will benefit from the shared knowledge and community craft experience.
What to expect from the course
- The introduction workshop focus is on the technique of weaving, from beginners projects focusing on the basic skills and construction methods.
- Explore various traditional craft techniques in weaving. Make handmade template ‘looms’ to craft on.
- Experiment with colour, textures and learn the basic techniques of hand-weaving to create an individual woven piece. Explore techniques to create samples and an initial design piece to create an individual woven piece.
- Sustainability: Using traditional weaving techniques we will focus on how we can recycle and renew to build new textile pieces. The focus will be on creating your own weave designs, taking inspiration from the natural world and sustainable businesses who reduced their environmental footprint by using recycled waste textiles to create innovative home textiles and art pieces.
Why study with BAES Arts?
You will develop an understanding of how to position your career goals within the creative sector across the creative industries.
- Develop practical Art skills, experiment with methods, techniques and processes.
- Learn how to kick-start your career in this industry, exploring design concepts and build wider knowledge within the Arts.
- Our short courses can provide an introduction to key foundation skills needed to enable you to progress onto more in depth courses
Interest in the Creative Arts. No formal entry requirements
Further education courses in Art and Design, Craft, Culture
Initial course resources / Additional cost
Tools and equipment are available for your use at the Centre. However, you may need to purchase some tools and materials for your project, this will be discussed with your Tutor if required.