Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping (AAT) – Level 3
Aimed at experienced bookkeepers, this qualification covers areas such as double entry bookkeeping, financial statements, intermediate spreadsheets and software use and will enable the learner to gain underpinning knowledge to support future work in accountancy and finance.
150 guided earning hours plus you will be expected to work at home.
Who Is This Course For?
This qualification offers progression for those who already have bookkeeping knowledge at Foundation Level 2, either to gain employment in a bookkeeping role or to further study. It is suitable for those who have completed the AAT Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping and may help students already working in a bookkeeping role to progress by offering them formal recognition of their skills.
Will I Gain Any Qualifications?
Yes, AAT Advance Certificate in Bookkeeping Level 3. There are three computer-based exams.
Do I Need Any Prior Knowledge, Skills Or Qualifications?
Level 2 qualifications in maths and English and be confident at using a computer at least at Level 2. You will need to have AAT Foundation Level 2 in Bookkeeping or equivalent skills.
A student completing this qualification will understand advanced bookkeeping principles and concepts, preparation of financial statements for sole traders and partnerships, and issues around indirect tax (VAT in the UK) in business. All of this will be learned in the context of the ethical issues that a bookkeeper may encounter in their professional life.
- Advanced Bookkeeping: double-entry bookkeeping, acquisition and disposal of non-current assets, calculate depreciation, record period end adjustments, produce the trial balance.
- Final Accounts Preparation: prepare accounting records from incomplete information, produce accounts for sole traders and partnerships.
- Indirect Tax: complete VAT returns understanding the implications of errors, report VAT-related information within the organisation
What Could This Course Lead To?
If you successfully complete this qualification, you can apply for AAT associate bookkeeping membership and achieve professional AAT Bookkeeper status (AATQB). AAT Qualifications are recognised by employers as practical and technical qualifications that prepare students for the world of work and for working specifically in accountancy and finance roles. Find out more about where AAT can take you in your career.
The Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping can lead to employment as:
- Professional Bookkeeper
- Senior Bookkeeper
- Accounts Manager
- Ledger Manager
How Will I Learn?
- Learning will take place initially in a classroom environment and then online from your home using Birmingham Adult Education Services Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool to support you with your studies. It has been designed to complement teaching and offers a flexible addition to studying with us. Various other tools like Microsoft Teams, Zoom & Padlet will be used to enhance teaching & learning.
- You will be able to access resources, engage in online activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
- Once you are enrolled your teacher will provide you with an enrolment key and show you how to access the resource.
What Materials Or Equipment Will I Need To Provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- A laptop, computer which is connected to the internet
- Microsoft Office 365 (Excel) which we will provide for free when you enrol on one of our courses
- Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises
What We Require Of You As A Learner?
- Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
- You will be expected to attend the full course and sit three computer-based exams
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your teacher for marking
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
- For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk