ESOL - Entry 1
Who is this course for?
Adults (19+) who speak another language and want to improve their English to live and work in the UK. The course is free for learners on certain eligible, income-based benefits such as Universal Credit, JSA, ESA.
- To learn about life in the UK.
- To improve your reading, writing, speaking and listening in English to help you in your everyday life and work.
- To improve your IT skills for basic communication and learning
What qualifications do I need?
None, you will be assessed and placed into a class suitable for your level.
What will I learn?
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- Develop your vocabulary on a range of everyday topics.
- Take part in role-play based on familiar situations such as meeting new people, going to the doctor’s, shopping for clothes, etc.
- Make requests and ask questions to get information.
- Read and understand information from different kinds of texts such as stories, brochures, emails, forms, signs and symbols etc.
- Spell words important to you, like your address and the names of people in your family.
- Complete basic forms.
- Write the letters of the alphabet using upper and lower case.
- Write simple sentences with the correct punctuation.
- Recognise the different cultures in the UK and the festivals that are celebrated.
How will I learn?
- Attend for 1, 2 or 3 sessions per week depending on your course.
- Work in groups, pairs or individually.
- Learn online and in the classroom.
- Paper-based and online activities will be set as homework to complete on your own from home.
- You will have an individual learning plan with targets that are personal to you.
- 1:1 talks with your teacher to talk about your progress (tutorials).
Will I gain any qualifications?
You will get a chance to complete awards in Entry 1 speaking and listening, reading and writing.
What could this course lead to?
This course could lead to a higher-level course in ESOL with us, or another provider, and help you to find a job.