ESOL - Pre-Entry
Who is this course for?
Adults (19+) who speak another language and want to improve their English to live and work in the UK. The course is free for learners on certain eligible, income-based benefits such as Universal Credit, JSA, ESA.
- To learn about life in the UK.
- To improve your reading, writing, speaking and listening in English to help you in your everyday life and work.
- To improve your IT skills for basic communication and learning
What qualifications do I need?
No qualifications are needed. You will be assessed and placed into a class suitable for your level.
What will I learn?
At the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Give information about yourself
- Speak clearly to be understood in conversations about a range of everyday situations such as meeting new friends, shopping etc.
- Listen to and follow instructions
- Read and write the alphabet
- Spell some personal and familiar words
- Write your name and address
- Fill in a simple form
- Read and understand everyday signs and symbols
- Write simple sentences
- Recognise the different cultural festivals celebrated in the UK
How will I learn?
- Attend for 1, 2 or 3 sessions per week depending on your course.
- Work in groups, pairs or individually with support from your tutor and, on some courses, a trained volunteer tutor.
- Learn online and in the classroom.
- Paper-based and online activities will be set as homework
- You will be set targets that are personal to you.
- 1:1 talks with your teacher to talk about your progress (tutorials)
What could this course lead to?
This course could lead to an ESOL - Entry 1 level qualification course with us, or another provider, and help you to find a job.