Introduction to Graphic Design Level 1 (Award)
This exciting new course introduces you to industry standard graphics and imaging and software. In this unit you will develop an understanding of the different types of digital graphics and how they are used. You will research and plan design ideas in response to a client brief and learn how to manipulate digital graphics using photo and vector editing techniques to create bitmap and vector graphics for specific purposes. This unit also allows you to obtain feedback on your work for review and further development.
48 hours. Courses are usually 1 x 2 hrs per week or 1 x 3 hours per week.
Who is this course for?
Adults (19+) who would like to develop their computer skills for everyday life and work and achieve a level 1 qualification
Will I gain any qualification?
Yes, level 1 award qualification. There is no exam and the assessment is based on a portfolio of work created during the course. You will do these in the classroom as and when you are ready. You will have lots of chance to practise the skills you need in class before you do the assignments for your portfolio. All our Digital Skills courses embed development of study, English, maths and job skills to help prepare you for study at higher levels and improve work prospects.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
Your English, maths and IT skills will be assessed before you join the course to make sure that the course is the right level for you.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
• Understand digital graphics.
• Describe how digital graphics are used for different purposes.
• Identify digital graphics file formats and their uses.
• Describe how purpose and audience influence the design and layout of digital graphics.
• Be able to plan digital graphics to meet client requirements.
• Obtain appropriate ready-made assets with consideration of file format and identify and record sources.
• Understanding copyright and intellectual property law in relation to creative works, obtaining permission, acknowledging sources/referencing.
• Generate design ideas.
• Obtain assets for use in digital graphics.
• Identify legal issues that need to be considered when creating digital graphics
• Be able to create and manipulate digital graphics.
• Be able to review digital graphics.
• Review how well the digital graphics meet client requirements, making suggestions for further improvements.
What could this course lead to?
At the end of the course, your tutor will check your skills to see what you are ready to do next: Level 2 Graphics or other IT Qualification or the next step towards higher education such as an access course.
How will I learn?
• Use of Learner portal and Moodle (online course to support your learning)
• The teacher showing you things
• Talking with other learners
• Doing tasks with other learners
• Using computers
• Your tutor will give regular feedback on what do well and what you need to do to improve
• You will use an online Individual Learning Plan (e-Trackr) which sets targets that are personal to you. Targets will be added throughout the course to develop your IT skills and support your journey to achieve long term goals. Your tutor will give you regular feedback on what you are doing well and what you need to do to improve.
What we require of you as a learner?
• Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
• Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your tutor for marking
• You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
• You will be expected to complete all end of unit exams and complete the full course
Support if you are registered unemployed, looking for a job or a better job – Route to Work
As part of your programme of learning, we will support you to develop the skills you need to get a job or a better job, such as CV writing, application forms, interviews and working in a team. Your tutor will discuss your individual learning and development needs to agree with you which of our Route to Work short courses will best suit your needs and enrol you on these modules.