Essential Digital Skills - Entry 3
To develop basic computer skills and enable you to use online searches and shopping sites as well as government sites for public services. It includes learning how to create, edit and save different types of files such as documents, images and videos.
30 guided learning hours at 2 - 3 hours per week.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for people with very basic computer knowledge or those who have completed a basic IT course such as Stepping Stones or Basic Digital Skills for Absolute Beginners. You will further enhance your digital and computer skills, confidence and gain a qualification.
Will I gain any qualification?
Yes - Essential Digital Skills Entry 3, from Gateway Qualifications will be available. You will be expected to sit an online exam towards the end of your course.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
A basic knowledge of IT and how to use a keyboard and mouse is required.
A basic level of English is needed as will help you to read and understand the instructions given. You must have a minimum of Entry 3 in reading & writing and speaking & listening to be able to join the course. Please bring your English certificates to your initial assessment.
The course standards are as follows -
- Handling Information and Content – develop skills using a range of digital devices, navigate the internet via hyperlinks, menus and other navigation tools.
- Communicating - using email and how to use and participate in video calls
- Transacting – complete and submit online forms and be able to buy items or services online
- Problem Solving – solving simple problems related to digital accounts
- Being safe and responsible online – identify online risks and threats and use simple methods to protect data. Manage Wi Fi and Privacy setting.
What could this course lead to?
Following completion of this course you will be able to progress onto Essential Digital Skills Level 1 this is for people who have some skills but need to be more confidence. We also offer other courses, IT Skills for Employment Level 1 qualification and other Level 1 IT courses including Web Design, Games and Animations Programming, Graphics Design as well as stand-alone modules, such as Learn To Code, How To Build A Computer, to name a few.
At the end of the course, your tutor will check your skills to see what you are ready to do next.
How will I learn?
- Learning will take place initially in a classroom environment and then online from your home using Birmingham Adult Education Services Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool to support you with your studies. It has been designed to complement teaching and offers a flexible addition to studying with us. Various other tools like Microsoft Teams, Zoom & Padlet will be used to enhance teaching & learning.
- You will be able to access resources, engage in online activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
- Once you are enrolled your teacher will provide you with an enrolment key and show you how to access the resource.
What materials or equipment will I need to provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- A laptop, computer or a tablet which is connected to the internet
- Microsoft Office 365 which we will provide for free when you enrol on one of our courses
- Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions
What we require of you as a learner?
- Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your tutor for marking
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
- You will be expected to complete all assessments and complete the full course
- Gateway: Entry Level 3: Essential Digital Skills | Gateway Qualifications
- BBC: A Beginners Guide to IT http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/connect/BBC_First_Click_Beginners_Guide.pdf
- Microsoft support website: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb