Essential Digital Skills - Level 1
This course provides learners with increased levels of basic IT skills to develop further knowledge, skills and promote safe internet behaviours. You will use a variety of Microsoft applications to create, edit and save different types of files e.g. documents, spreadsheet and slideshows. Improve competence and confidence when carrying out online searches, using online shopping sites and internet banking.
60 guided learning hours at 2-3 hours per week.
Who Is This Course For?
This course is suitable for people with very basic computer knowledge or those who have completed a basic IT course such as Essential Digital Skills E3 & Digital & Computers Skills Improvers. You will further enhance your digital and computer skills, confidence and gain a qualification.
Will I Gain Any Qualification?
Yes - Essential Digital Skills L1 will be available as qualifications for Entry Level 3, for people who are have some knowledge of using online technology.
Do I Need Any Prior Knowledge, Skills Or Qualifications?
A basic knowledge of IT and how to use a keyboard and mouse is required. A basic level of English is needed as this will help you to read and understand the instructions given.
The course standards are as follows -
- Handling Information and Content – locate and manage information on three different devices, use software applications e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Communicating – send emails to multiple recipients, demonstrate how use and participate in video calls
- Transacting – be confident completing and submitting online forms and be able to buy items or a service online
- Problem Solving – solving simple problems related to digital accounts
- Being safe and responsible online – identify online risks and threats and use simple methods to protect data. Manage Wi Fi and Privacy setting on own devices
What Could This Course Lead To?
You could choose to progress onto the Level 2 ITQ Certificate in IT User Skills or you may choose to do one of our Business Administration or Accounting qualifications. It could help you to gain employment in an IT office environment or you could use your skills to help set up your own business. At the end of the course, your tutor will check your skills to see what you are ready to do next.
How Will I Learn?
- Learning will take place initially in a classroom environment and then online from your home using Birmingham Adult Education Services Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool to support you with your studies. It has been designed to complement teaching and offers a flexible addition to studying with us. Various other tools like Microsoft Teams, Zoom & Padlet will be used to enhance teaching & learning.
- You will be able to access resources, engage in online activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
- Once you are enrolled your teacher will provide you with an enrolment key and show you how to access the resource.
What Materials Or Equipment Will I Need To Provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- A laptop, computer or a tablet which is connected to the internet
- Microsoft Office 365 which we will provide for free when you enrol on one of our courses
- Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises
What We Require Of You As A Learner?
- Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your tutor for marking
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
- You will be expected to complete all assessments and complete the full course
- For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk
- Microsoft support website https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb