Digital Photography – Intermediate
This course will enable you to develop skills in creative photography. You will be able to combine the use of camera controls, editing programmes and production methods with a range of techniques to produce creative applications for a number of display and design purposes.
28 hours – usually 14 weekly sessions of 2 hours.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for anyone who wants to:
- develop creative abilities using digital techniques
- study at higher levels or look for employment in this field.
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
No - this is a non-accredited course.
Do I need any knowledge, skills or qualifications?
You will need to have studied at Beginners level to join this course. As the course involves taking notes and measurements you will need to have basic levels of English and Maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
You will learn about:
- how to use a DSLR camera and functions to a good standard
- how to set up a lighting studio and work on location.
- how to use technical language to present and evaluate photographic images
- how to use IT skills for to create a range of creative effects.
- how to operate according to health and safety procedures
- how to operate ethically
- employment opportunities in the creative media industry.
What could this course lead to?
It will prepare you for advanced levels study or a Level 3 qualification. It may also help you to get a job in the media industry.
How will I learn?
- observe tutor demonstrations of photographic techniques which you will practice and experiment with throughout the course
- carry out research into established photographers
- collect source materials from a variety of locations
- take part in group research reviews of finished work
- produce a portfolio showing your photographic images and achievements.
What materials or equipment will I need to provide?
Important: a Digital Single Lens Reflex camera is a requirement for this course. You are also advised to purchase a memory stick and USB cable (your tutor will advise at the start of the course). Additional costs will include the printing of good quality photographs, a lever arch file, and other display materials.
Your commitment as a learner
To achieve success on the course you will need to attend regularly, and on time. If you need to miss a class, please let us know in advance.
You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study, complete any homework set and bring the correct materials to each session. You will be expected to complete all assessments and complete the full course.