Textiles: Basic Sewing Skills & Preparation - Beginners
- During this course you will develop your sewing skills and construct a simple garment.
- You will apply knowledge to research, prepare, layout, cut and construct a simple garment or an accessory using a commercial pattern.
- Introduction to basic sewing skills will be developed in stages. The aim is to reach a confident skill level in order to construct a simple garment using a commercial pattern.
- During the course, you will identify and use key sewing tools, thread and operate a sewing machine safely, source and use a commercial sewing pattern.
- You will gain an understanding of how to construct a simple garment or home accessory, practise a range of essential tasks by making samples, e.g: Machine stitched seams, buttonholes, facings and hems.
- You will also learn new terminology and how to research, prepare, layout, cut and construct your garment using a commercial pattern.
- Throughout the course series you will explore the history of your project and describe different styles, create samples of key features of a garment.
What to expect from the course
- Each student will negotiate a project with the Tutor, based on experience and learning goals. Garment construction could be a simple top, skirt, dress, nightdress or pyjamas for an adult or child. Alternatively, you may wish to make a home accessory such as a cushion, tote bag or apron.
- You will be expected to work independently and engage in group tasks in order to develop your skills and knowledge. The course covers a range of techniques and skills, sustainability and awareness of employment and other opportunities in the subject. You will also be expected to undertake work at home as well as during the workshop class time
- Gain an understanding of and strategy of how to source sustainable fabrics and notions. Develop working methods that foster sustainability, create eco-friendly garments/projects. Understand how to care for garments to minimise their impact on the environment.
- Research + enrichment: The history of the commercial pattern and historical background of the garment type to be constructed. Research to be undertaken in class and online.
Interest in the Creative Arts / Self Employment. No formal entry requirements
Suitability Level: Beginners / Beginners +
- This course is suitable for anybody who is at Beginners level who want to develop or further there sewing skills using hand and domestic machine sewing techniques.
- This course is suitable for learners who have no prior knowledge of the subject but requires the ability to take notes, measurements and carry out simple research.
- As the course involves taking notes and measurements, you will need to have basic levels of English and Maths, in addition to a good level of written and spoken English.
- A basic level of IT skills is also useful, to undertake research tasks, write assignments and access the online elements of the course.
Further education courses in Textiles, Fashion and Garment construction at higher levels.
Initial course resources / Additional cost
Tools and equipment are available for your use at the Centre. However, you may need to purchase some tools and materials for your project, this will be discussed with your Tutor if required. The additional course costs will vary £20 - £45 depending on the size of the project you are making. For example: Pattern Drafting paper, fabrics and interfacings, specialist equipment.
Specific Tools / Equipment: Learners will need a basic sewing kit including - sewing needles, sewing thread, scissors, tape measure, tailors chalk, seam ripper, pins, sewing box to store sewing kit in. As term progresses: a sewing pattern, fabric & notions will also be required for your chosen project. Access to a sewing machine at home is desirable but not essential. Stationary requirements: An A4 lever arch folder, plastic sleeve poly-pockets, pens, pencils, eraser, A4 lined paper, paper glue Access to internet plus laptop /iPad/ smartphone.