Acoustic Guitar - Intermediate
This course will build on basic guitar playing skills to enable you to improve your technique, expand your repertoire and develop confidence when playing independently and as part of a group.
Will I gain a qualification?
No - this is a non-accredited course.
The course is for between 12 and 24 weeks.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who already has some knowledge and ability to play a 6 string acoustic guitar, and who wants to improve their technique and play more complex arrangements.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
You will need experience of playing a guitar at Beginners Level and of reading guitar tablature for this course, but you don’t need to be able to read music. The course involves reading and numerical sequences, so you will need to have basic literacy and numeracy skills. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you
What will I learn?
- More complex fret and strumming patterns.
- More complex chords and scales.
- To understand and practice timings and rhythms to a more sophisticated level.
- How to use posture in a way that enhances musical effect whilst remaining safe.
- The origins of selected musical genres and playing techniques.
- Be aware of music venues, working and playing to a public audience.
What could this course lead to?
This course could lead to an acoustic guitar course at Advanced Level.
How will I learn?
- Tutor demonstration and instruction.
- Working in pairs and small groups.
- By carrying out regular practice outside of the classroom to aid progress.
- Practise playing set tasks independently, in pairs and whole group.
- Being part of a group performing for peers or a small audience.
- By producing a workbook you can refer to when practicing.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring your guitar to each session.
You will need to bring your own acoustic 6 string guitar (strung for right handed, or left handed players as appropriate).