Floristry: Modern Designs - Beginners
Learning Aspects – Key Skills/Techniques/Outcomes
Subject techniques: This course will cover all of the basic skills and techniques you will need to produce mondern designs representing events which occur throughout the year, covering a range of techniques, using seasonal blooms and foliage.
Tools/ equipment: Use tools and materials accurately, safely and correctly.
Research + enrichment: Online research of designs, techniques and costings.
Sustainability: Upcycle floristry components.
Project / Product outcome:
Program teaching is delivered through a blend of classroom teaching, for example:
- Tutor demonstrations
- Practical activities
- Research discussions
You will be expected to work independently and engage in group tasks in order to develop your skills and knowledge. The course covers a range of techniques, skills, sustainability and an awareness of employment other opportunities in the subject.
What will you learn?
You will learn
- How to use and explore a variety of techniques, tools and equipment.
- How to use materials, tools and equipment to produce different design arrangements
- How to identify commonly used flowers and foliage according to the season
- Create a range of simple contemporary designs
- How to use primary and secondary colours
- How to use and store plant material, tools and equipment safely
- Develop an awareness of employment opportunities in the floristry industry
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Use tools, materials and equipment correctly.
- Develop a good standard of work using foliage/materials that are in season
- Understand the basic theory of making floral designs and arrangements
- Produce samples of techniques with instructions to form a portfolio.
Anyone with an interest in developing floristry skills using seasonally appropriate plant material.
No previous experience or formal entry requirements are needed. As the course involves taking notes, measurements and making calculations you will need to have basic levels of English and Maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
Course lengths vary. Please check the BAES web site www.learnbaes.ac.uk BAES Learning Directory, visit or telephone one of our adult learning centres for details of dates and start times.
It could lead to further courses in floristry making at higher levels.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual and to bring the correct materials to each session. A commitment to working independently outside the classroom is required.
Costs – Additional to course fees
Tools and equipment are available for your use at the centres. However, you will need to purchase some tools and materials for your project.
The additional course costs are estimated per term.
Equipment you will need:
For the first session you will need to bring a pen, writing pad and folder.
You will need a pair of floristry scissors (cost approx. £7.00 from Amazon) and a floristry knife (cost approx. £7.50 from Amazon) within two weeks of the course starting.
Important - in addition to the course fees, flowers and foliage will cost between £5.00 and £10.00 per session. This is dependent on the size of the project that you are making and this will be discussed with you at enrolment.